Moons and Satellites

This is where you can suggest new functionnalities or features, they will not be all implemented, but it may lead to new functionnalities in future releases.

Moderator: Ignishot

reagent1

Moons and Satellites

Post#1 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:47 pm

Just Checking in and seeing if there's anything going on...

1) My Grand Designer is 1.1.0 Is there still a 2.0 in the works?
2) I'd like satellites and other bodies....asteroids and moons. Smaller 'Moons' would be good for the shadow work instead of doing it post render and getting the shadows looking wrong. A lot of sci-fi images feature more than one planet.
3) A Comet so that the planet has a tail..
4) A Star/Sun something, not just an orange, bright planet, but something with a corona or solar flare-filled surface.
5) A "Global" randomizer that randomizes Everything....yes, everything.

------
On a side note, I'm having trouble figuring out what setting is keeping the cities from showing up.
I'd like to do a dark planet with a few clouds and the city lights very prominent.
Going back to work on that.
Thanks.

Hope all is well with you.

Ignishot
Site Admin

Re: Moons and Satellites

Post#2 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:22 pm

Hi,

I'm good, thanks for asking, I hope you're ok too.
Concerning your questions :

1) There is a 2.0 in the pipeline, but it's on hold for the moment as I'm working on another big project, not related to GD.
2) Asteroids and moons can be done easily, there are some samples provided with the software, but you always edit one thing at a time. You can export stuff in separate layers and composite everything after ... (like I've done on these compositions : https://www.artstation.com/ignishot/albums/81535) It's not planed for the moment to support more than one planet simultaneously. You can also do the compositing in a 3D software or a game engine (unity/unreal for instance).
3) This can be done also in compositing ... The point of GD is to create the basics layers, but not to be a full features compositing software, which is way beyond what it can do.
4) This is in my todo list.
5) You can already randomize everything (dice icon to open the randomizer, check seeds/bascis/advanced/colors/all sections and click randomize ... you can do the same on the background too)

About the cities, you can also check the night lights intensity in the shader tab, also the Nightlight direct and indirect intensities in the cities tab.

Cheers!

reagent1

Post#3 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:52 am

Thanks for the fast reply.
Is your new project something we can $upport? -
or not related to graphics at all?

Have you seen this?
http://wwwtyro.github.io/procedural.js/space/

http://wwwtyro.github.io/space-2d/

Wouldn't be bad to have something like this generate the backgrounds....

Ignishot
Site Admin

Post#4 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:14 pm

The new product will be also a graphical tool, that's all I can say. I'll communicate when it'll be advanced enough.

Concerning your 2 links you've sent ... er ... the background generation in GD is giving much better results with much more control AFAIK. You can use it in 2D plane instead of 360 longitude latitude by selecting Fixed backgound in the first tab of Background.

Return to “Proposals”