360° spherical render???

This is where anyone can talk about their experience with the software, hint and tips ...

Moderator: Ignishot

JPT

360° spherical render???

Post#1 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:57 pm

Hi,
it took a while till I realized that a skybox is not a 360° spherical render .... :oops:

So my question is: is it possible to render a 360° spherical panorama with Grand Designer?
If not this should be a top task for the next update ;)

Thanks in advance
JP

Ignishot
Site Admin

Re: 360° spherical render???

Post#2 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:13 am

Hi JP,

Well, the texture exported for the background is a longitude-latitude format and is applied to a sphere to be rendered. So, it's a spherical one as far as I know ... Just take the exported texture, apply it to any sphere in maya, unity or any other 3D editing software or engine and it will do it.

It's not in spherical format IF you check the 'fixed background' option in Background->Global, but it's the only case.

Regards

JPT

Post#3 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:25 pm

Hi,
thanks a lot for clarification... indeed I had "fixed background" activated. Sorry, my fault.

But I have a second question in this context: is there a specific reason why the sun is not visible in the exported picture? I think the lighting (of nebulae etc.) is influenced by the sun, and so without sun position the lighting of the scenes in other 3D applications may be difficult?

Ignishot
Site Admin

Post#4 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:44 am

The sun is not affecting the lighting of the nebulae, as it is a kind of trick/hardcoded light direction, just to reinforce the volumetric look. But considering the scales, the sun should not affect the lighting of the nebulae :)

The sun is not baked also because it is supposed to be more local than the background which is very very far away. If you want to fly in that solar system, you should render all planets and the sun in 3D, that should be more convincing.

You can do a quite basic sun using GD too, or simply put an emissive sphere in your scene.

I hope this clarifies things, cheers!

JPT

Post#5 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:39 pm

Hi,
thank you very very much for clarify this one too!

Return to “Users Discussion”